August 29, 2013

chicago camp part I

For two weeks, I was able to be a part of the Inner City Youth Charitable Foundation as a camp counselor for 36 amazing boys from inner city Chicago. I spent 4 days in Chicago, touring the city and seeing where the boys come from, and then we brought the boys back to Idaho for 10 days of camp. It was the most life changing two weeks.

Before I go into my camp experience, here is a look at our Chicago adventures. I'm grateful I was able to have this experience with 11 of my fellow classmates in the Social Work program. 

 We were left to find our hostel on our own right when we arrived in Chicago.
 I heard everyone RAVE about Giordano's, and rightly so. This pizza was amazing!
 The Art Institute of Chicago
The skyline reflection in the Millennium Bean was beautiful at night!
We watched the sunrise come over Lake Michigan. It was so beautiful and peaceful!
 The girls and our very normal professors.
These were for my husband. He told me I HAD to see the Michael Jordan statue at the United Center (he is a huge Jordan and Bulls fan).
I wanted to rent one of these bikes so bad!
 I was so obsessed with the Millennium Bean! I've always wanted to see it!
 We got to go to a Cubs game! Wrigley Field was so cool!
I loved Navy Pier! We had beautiful views of the city from the Farris Wheel.

This place was awesome. They were purposely rude to you--it was HILARIOUS!
 For all you Social Workers out there, we visited the Jane Addams Hull House! So cool!
 We were all exhausted, so when we stumbled (literally) upon these rickshaws, we didn't hesitate to jump on one. Best $5 I spent.
 I finally had me some soul food. I did not think chicken and waffles sounded good together, but let me tell you, it was SO good! Seriously, go get you some.
It's a little blurry, but this view of the city was breathtaking. I love the Chicago skyline!

Well, that's the gist of our Chicago trip. Trying to figure out city transit really made me respect the people who do it on a daily basis, especially our boys who we worked with. Chicago is beautiful, and I loved touring the city. I can't wait to go back someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!