March 20, 2013

internship

Last week was hell-week for me (along with all the other social work students). I had a huge group paper due that ended up being 33 pages, a presentation, and to top it all off, the internship fair. I commend all my classmates for getting through last week alive--I felt like we were all walking zombies.

So the internship fair consisted of 28 tables filled with different practitioners, and 40+ students walking around with resumes trying to sell themselves. Our program requires 2 semesters (500 total hours) of internships. In semesters past, no one went without an internship. Now, the Social Work program has grown so much that some would be going without an internship. Needless to say, there was a fair amount of underlying competition amongst all of us.
Long story short, I received a few offers from places who wanted to do a second interview with me. I first interviewed with Child Protective Services. Working for CPS has been an absolute dream of mine. I'm so passionate about protecting children and providing resources to families so they can strengthen their home environment. I felt really good about my interview. 

My second interview was with a juvenile probation center. I absolutely loved my interview with them. I felt so comfortable, and I felt like I would really enjoy the environment. I would get a lot of experience and opportunity interning there. I was offered a 2 semester internship with them during my interview. Whaaaattt?! That made me even more excited! I walked out so confused about what to do. I was so excited about this probation center, so much that I had completely forgotten about CPS.

Well, my question/prayer was answered, because CPS didn't offer me an internship. I immediately called the probation center and accepted their offer! I declined to interview with the other places who had interest in me, because I feel like juvenile probation is the right fit for me.

I can't wait to begin working with them! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel as my days at BYU-Idaho are becoming very numbered.

6 comments:

  1. How exciting! Congrats to you Megan! I assume it is the JCC in St. Anthony? I've known a few people to work there in my day! I worked at the 5 county detention center there as a teacher's aid after Talon and I got married... Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Hope the internship teaches you a lot and you gain useful experience from it to use later in a career!

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog from the hop! Congrats on your internship and making it through what sounds like a very tough week. I'm a teacher, so like you I care so much about the welfare of kiddos, I am in awe of what social workers do and how you help families. Following along now on bloglovin! :)

    Abby
    theinglewayoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, that's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, congratulations!

    I'm beyond jealous of your courage to waltz up to those tables. I just had a similar experience, at a job fair for special education interns looking for full time spots next year. I was beyond nervous!

    So excited that you found a fit that's perfect for you. God certainly does have a plan! (:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!