December 31, 2012

2012: a year in review

2012 was such a wonderful year! It was most definitely the best year of my life. The events that happened range from getting accepted to the social work program to my brother leaving for his mission to having a very random surgery. With all the great memories I have of this year, everything falls short to getting married to the love of my life. I will always hold 2012 special in my heart. Here are some highlights of my year!

My first visit to Montana
Earlier this year, I met my husband's family for the first time! They are the best people. I'm so blessed to have married into such a wonderful, loving family.
[Read about it here]

Matt visited Colorado
Luckily Matt has loved Colorado since before he met me, so getting him to come visit me in Colorado for the first time was no problem. He met my parents for the first time, and they gave me the go-ahead to marry him. Matt also got my dad's blessing to marry me :) This week we decided to not wait another year to get married and to get married in September! Going home with him now is my favorite thing.
[Read about it here]

Matt and I got engaged!
At the end of April, Matt proposed! This was the best day of my life (until we got married)! He gave me a series of presents, the last one being that North Face jacket in the picture. My ring was in the pocket of the jacket. I will never forget the flood of emotions I felt when I felt the ring box in the pocket. That night was such a sweet night. Everything about it was perfect.
[Read about it here]

Waldo Canyon Fire
This was absolutely heartbreaking. It's so devastating to see the beautiful area you live in go up in flames. I live across the highway from where the fire was burning. This was a really hard time for Colorado, but I'm so impressed with the camaraderie in Colorado Springs. Strangers would ask if someone's house was okay. People were offering their homes to the victims of the fire. It was a really emotional time, but it brought out a love of home and gratitude for the beauty around us. 

My cousin Annie's wedding
I have always loved how close my family is. Some of my fondest memories of growing up include memories with Annie. This summer she was married to her love--it was a long time coming! I was honored to be a bridesmaid in her beautiful wedding.
[Read about it here]

My brother leaving on his mission
My baby brother Jason left on his mission in July. He is serving in Colombia for 2 years. I miss him so much, but I couldn't be more proud of him. The picture of him hugging my dad is the sweetest picture--I still get emotional when I look at it. We were able to talk to Jason on Christmas, and it was so good to see him. He's doing amazing; I love seeing the person he is becoming.
[Read about it here, here, and here]

Getting our engagement pictures taken
My cousin Val took our engagement pictures (she was also our wedding photographer). She is AMAZING! I love all of our pictures! Taking our engagements was so fun and exciting. Moments like this really made us getting married so surreal. I love my handsome man.
Check out Val's photography at Valory Jean Photography!
[Read about it here]

Surgery
In July I had a very random, scary surgery. I had excruciating pains in my left groin area. It ended up being a baseball sized cyst on my fallopian tube. I'm grateful that we have skilled doctors that can take care of problems like this. Luckily, there shouldn't be any long-term ramifications from this.
[Read about it here]

Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe is always a yearly highlight for me. Every year, all my family gets together for a family reunion in Lake Tahoe. It's been a tradition since my dad was 5 years old (so cool, huh?). I'm so grateful for my family and for the dedication to going to Tahoe every year. All my favorite memories growing up are in Tahoe. My parents would give my brother and me a choice between going to Tahoe or going to Disney World when we were growing up. Hands down we would always choose Tahoe (and I am a Disney fanatic). This year Matt came with us which made it even better! I'm glad he still decided to marry me after spending a week with my crazy relatives :)
[Read about it here]

Getting married to my best friend
This is and forever will be the best day of my life. Matt is the most wonderful man. I didn't think it was possible to feel so much love coming from someone. He is the perfect husband, and every day when I think "it can't get much better than this," it does. The day we were married will always be a reminder of how strong our love is. I'm so grateful that I get to spend the rest of my life and eternity with my best friend by my side. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us. I love that sweet guy.
[Read about it here]

San Francisco honeymoon
We were absolutely spoiled on our honeymoon. Matt has some good family friends that own a houseboat in Sausalito. This houseboat happens to be a replica of the Taj Mahal. It is the most beautiful, breathtaking place! I'm so grateful that they graciously let us stay there. It was so fun to roam San Francisco together. I want to go back so bad!
[Read about it here]

Our first apartment
I have loved building our little home together. I love our apartment, and I love my roommate. Even though I have some angst towards Rexburg, Idaho, I do have a special spot in my heart for it because this is where our first home is.
[Read about it here]

Well, this pretty much sums up 2012! 2013 will be another exciting year as we both will graduate from BYU-Idaho. Who knows where we will be by the end of the year, but I'm excited to see where life takes us.

Happy New Year!

16 comments:

  1. Awwww looks like a very Beautiful year you two shared. Happy new year! Lovely pictures by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay you are so blessed missy! I am SO happy for you! You two are SUCH a great looking couple... love all the engagement pictures especially! I can't imagine what its like having your brother so far away for so long but he's making a huge impact I'm sure :) happy new year girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! You did have a great year!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this post! I love your cousin's yellow wedding scheme, and I love your engagement photos, and I love that you and I totally have the same engagement ring (I'm curious to see what your wedding band looks like! That'd be so cool if it was the same as mine!) and I love your wedding photos and, oh, what an amazing year 2012 was for you guys! Aww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have a plain wedding band. What is yours like?

      Delete
  5. You've had a busy year!!! And you were such a gorgeous bride.

    Random...but I LOVE that yellow dress in your cousin's wedding. Did someone make them or was it bought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The yellow dress is from eShakti.com. It's a really good website. The dress was originally a tank top, but we can included a custom request to put sleeves on it. Very cool!

      Delete
  6. I just found you through the GFC blog hop, and I'm your newest follower! I love your blog so far :) It looks like you've had such a beautiful year! You and your husband are so cute (and look so good together!!!). I'm so jealous of your honeymoon in San Fransisco! I've always wanted to go there. Looks like you had a ball! I hope 2013 will bring you even more adventures...and fewer surgeries :( Happy New Year!!!!

    xoxo Mason
    masonlikethejar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you had such an eventful and fun year!!! I'm so glad that I found your blog via the Followers to Friends blog hop. I'm a new follower and I can't wait to get to know you better in 2013. I go to BYU-I too, so I've already decided that you're awesome, haha.

    Take care & have a great 2013!

    Tasia
    http://tasiatalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful photos! Found your blog through the hop! New follower:)
    Brittney
    http://beautybybrittney02.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  9. New Follower! Found you through the Followers to Friends Link up! Love your blog! Stop by my blog at http://www.kjaggers.com anytime and if you like what you see, follow back! Happy New Year! K Jaggers

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an AMAZING year for you!! Looks as though 2013 has a lot to live up to!

    Stopping by from the GFC Hop and co-hosting this week. You can find my blog here: www.theviewfromfiveten.com

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stumbled upon your blog and it's simply darling! Loved reading about your year and finding out that you're a newlywed as well! I was married 09.15.12! Your wedding photos are just beautiful!

    lifesadanceyoulearnasyougos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a year you had!! Congrats on the engagement, you look stunning!!

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower through the blog hop! :)

    Congratulations on a wonderful year! Your ring and wedding pictures are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations...you had an amazing year! Just got back from my trip...finally able to hop around from the 2012 year in review link up! Thanks for linking up with us! I'm a Happy New Follower!

    Tif
    Ramblings of a Southern Belle
    http://www.rambling-southern-belle.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!