November 12, 2012

the lost art of listening

I just finished reading The Lost Art of Listening for one of my social work classes.

"Few motives in human experience are as powerful as the yearning to be understood."

I think everyone should read this book--it changes how you view yourself and makes you seriously reevaluate your listening skills. It goes through how to listen to and communicate with your spouse, your children, friends, co-workers, bosses. I thought I was a pretty good listener... before I read this book. You learn how to set aside your own agenda while listening, and learn how to listen with empathy. It's amazing how much people need to be listened to. After reading this, I believe that many self-insecurity issues would be improved if individuals had someone that will not only listen to them, but that is truly striving to understand them.

Read it! See how you can improve your relationships by simply listening and understanding with empathy.
Get it here.

"When two people are locked in silent grievance, the best way to break the impasse is to elicit and acknowledge the other person's feelings."

"Successful parents learn to shift their style of parenting to accommodate to their children's development."

"Being listened to creates a sense of being understandable and worth-while.
Not being listened to fosters insecurity."

3 comments:

  1. Okay, this actually might just be something I really needed to read and see! I Just came across your blog and absolutely LOVE it. It is wonderful and weirdly, you kind of remind me of myself. K i'm glad we're friends now! Haha. Now..I'm going to go stalk away at your adorable bloggy ! Thanks..I want to read that book now. Whoot Whoot!

    amanda @ we and serendipity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! I love your blog too. Thank you for following :)

      Delete
  2. I love a good book recommendation! Just stumbled upon your blog from the GFC hop and you are so SWEET! Also - Amanda, the post above me is absolutely adorable and you guys are kind of similar, haha! Anyways, off to stalk you some more!

    Stop by and say hi sometime!
    www.dysfunctionaleverafter.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!