October 25, 2012

first snow + vegetable chowder

THE SNOW IS HERE!
We woke up to at least 6 inches of snow this morning, and I couldn't have been more excited! It was very hard to leave our apartment and go to class because we just wanted to stay inside all day.
 Also, I cut off all my hair. 5 inches to be exact :)

Vegetable Chowder
[via]
I made this last week, and Matt is now obsessed with it. I believe this will be on our weekly menu from now on which is just fine by me! It's SO good!

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion (To much of Matt's dismay, I hate onions, so I don't add them)
1 cup finely chopped carrot (I just bought shredded carrots)
1 celery stick, finely chopped (I tripled this)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth (When I first made this, it was really watery. This time I substituted one cup of broth for a can of Cream of Chicken Soup, and we liked it a lot more)
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used 4 small/medium)
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup milk
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
 
Melt butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat or until tender. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
 Add chicken broth (and Cream of Chicken Soup if you choose to) and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until the potatoes are tender. Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until the soup is slightly thickened. Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is tender and soup is heated through. Stir in cheese and allow to melt.

And serve!
This is seriously one of our favorite recipes so far. It's perfect for fall and winter.

And it makes your husband happy :)

17 comments:

  1. Yikes, cannot believed it snowed already! But so pretty :)

    And I've made that soup before too... delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM that look so good! I want to make some soon. Also, I LOVE your haircut! You look adorable.

    Love you. Tell Matt hi for me!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so cute! And I want to make that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I love the first picture with the snow!!! I remember taking one like that the first time I saw it. And of course what better way to combat the cold is with some hot soup. I really enjoyed this post and is following you now. I would love for you to follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/10/my-version-of-fall.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh wow I am so insanely jealous of this post! I love the snow and can't wait for it to be here (unfortunately I have to...) haha. Just found your blog from the "I love my online friends" hop and I'm so glad I did...loving your blog and you are soooo naturally pretty!! you and your husband are just stunning together. yay for a new blog to follow! totally adding you to my daily reads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your blog and am your newest follower. I was hoping that you would stop by my blog and follow me back!

    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. soup snow boots and cozy sweater.. all with the husband. sounds like perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snowy and rainy days are both perfect for staying indoors and keeping warm. I don't mind them at all so long as they go along with my plans for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! It looks so magical! The first snow is always kind of fun for me :)

    I just found your adorable blog through the hop! I am your newest follower :) Would love for you to stop by sometime and follow along if you'd like :)

    sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw snow is so pretty! It almost never snows in New Zealand! Even the mountains this season were pretty bare. Thanks for linking up to Followers to Friends this week, I hope you made some new bloggy friends :)
    Happy Halloween x

    P.S. Shabby Apple are giving away a dress on my blog if you want to enter! www.sweetpeasylvie.com/2012/11/im-stylish-breastfeeding-mama-shabby.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. new[est] follower. loving this post and loving your blog! so glad I happen to stumble across it!
    can't wait to keep following along!

    stop by sometime!
    kalobandelise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow, we got snow last weekend but not that much! Looks like winter there! lol I'm a little behind but I wanted to say thank you so much again for linking up with the GFC Collective & following! Hope you acquired some new friends :)
    Bre @ Peacoats and Plaid

    ReplyDelete
  13. So jealous of the snow you have! I know it's hard to live in but it's so pretty and you get to dress all warm! Newest follower from the hop!

    http://sincerelyarizona.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. i couldn't help it! i read this post, put down the laptop and started chopping. the boyfriend is coming home to chowder tonite! thanks for a terrific post and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!